3.1.1.2 Verbal Aggression

Escalation of conflict most often included verbal aggression and provocation.
“Using bad words are common problems which bring us to get angry with each other.”
A focus group discussion gave examples common to Cambodian context: yelling, scolding, intimidating, using aing (personal pronoun used to denote superiority and that is regarded as very impolite outside of very formal settings), body language (e.g., shaking a finger), and shame. The data hinted at different sources of this type of verbal aggression, including a combination of learned common cultural patterns with frustration at lack of understanding and empathy.
"I got very angry and I insulted her loudly for me keeping me waiting and missing the appointment....This really upset her."
One case specifically noted that verbal aggression was a regular source of tension in the family, compounded by an inability of the partner to change these patterns of communication.
“I was unhappy with my husband's attitude of using impolite words or being nasty to me. I tried to talk to him....He was aware of his own behavior and accepted it couldn't be changed easily as it is his habit. Honestly, I really insist to see this kind of behavior changed.”